Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Post Office

What is the deal with the post office ?  Why do we need a post office ?  They can't make money. They employ approx. 596,000 people that obviously can't read or write, but have an unique ability to stuff things in our mailbox, or our neighbors mailbox, or most likely somewhere else.  There are roughly 218,000 vehicles in use by the postal service.  You would think, (which is my first mistake) that with several hundred thousand vehicles and almost 600,000 people working for the USPS, they would be able to deliver a simple Hanukkah card to me from my friends A & B ??????  My friend called me earlier today and asked if I had moved ?????? ( This is my oldest friend who I speak to all the time ). Naturally, he knew that I have been living in the same place now for almost ten years.  He read out the Name.........the Address.............the City...............the State..............the Zip Code.........and then asked me why it was returned to him ?????? I simply mentioned that he did not have my apartment number on it, and if there is an alternate mail person...................Whambuggy......no mail for me. Why would a mail person bother to check the directory if they don't know ? My friend A then told me that he now has to put another stamp on it to re-mail the card......Now I know.........It's the sneaky fucking way our stupid postal department can try to make up some lost revenue......Bounce as much mail as possible.  I really wish I had the exact figure of what is returned to sender for whatever reason.
     The Postal Service used to be great when I was a kid growing up in the Bronx.  2 mail deliveries a day with the first one there by 9 am...OMG....there was only one delivery on Saturday......I bet the PO even made money back then.....There were no computers, a zip code was only 2 numbers and was called a zone then , (and if none was there it managed to get to you anyway), and I certainly do not remember employees  of the PO shooting themselves as happens now.  I guess those were the good old days.  Ben Franklin was responsible for the start of the PO about 1775 in Philadelphia.
     The local post office was always in a wonderful , clean , building. (for it's time)..............But that was then and this is now.....WTF do we even need a post office ?  It's almost useless and pretty soon will become obsolete. Sure there is revenue of 67 billion dollars of which a good portion is subsidised by uncle Sam.   So what if the post office is the second largest civilian employer in the US after Walmart.  We also used to have a Mailman......
     I wonder if my card is somewhere on this truck ?  Let's face it.................Packages are mostly sent via Fed Ex or UPS.......Mail.............whatever there is of it , is now sent via e-mail, facebook, twitter, or thru some other social network.  The only thing left are those dumb ass advertisements for hearing aids, annoying department store shit, and other worthless crap that no one reads.  The Post Office will eventually be gone unless the government takes it over and then we will never receive mail, or the cost of a first class stamp goes to about $7.68 to mail a letter or card.  Either way we are screwed. Besides, I truly believe the people behind the postal service are Hallmark and the other greeting card companies.  
      Good bye Mr. Post Office.  Have fun with the Milkman, the Iceman, rotary phones, and some other dear friends.  Enjoy the little time you have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment