Saturday, August 17, 2019

Yum, Yum, Yummy, Yummy Jahn's etc.(orig. March 2014, part of re-run week)

Yum, Yum, Yummy aka Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor

Here is a blast from the past for all you New Yorkers. Yes, it's Jahn's Ice Cream.  I bet you already are thinking one or two things to yourself ?????  The Kitchen Sink, or the Awful Awful, or the Screwballs delight ????  Anyway to give you a little history of this great ice cream parlor that only made its own ice cream and was a destination for kids like myself who grew up in NY.  We would go there with 4/5 guys and try to finish one of the Kitchen Sinks.  Now the Kitchen Sink was a Little ice cream sundae with at least 30 scoops of ice cream, banana's, fruit, syrup, nuts,cherries, and who remembers what else.  I seem to remember that if you completely finished one, you would get another one for free.  Fat chance of ever finishing one, and if you did, who would want another one.  Besides, in those days we were all so thin, no-one even knew what the word FAT was.... I really don't remember what was in some of the other specials, but they were all great.


     Jahn's was in Richmond Hill, Queens, which was not too far from Jamaica. It also had a nickelodeon inside which was also quite old.  From research it was opened in the 1930's and the last one closed in 2007.  The one in Richmond Hill was the most famous and the one we always went too. Although I have to admit that once we learned what girls were, we went to the one in Forest Hills. It was larger and had more girls there. What can I tell you, I probably was shallow then as well. During the mid 1950's, I understand there were several opened throughout NY, but who knows ?   In it's heyday the place was always mobbed.  It was next door to a big RKO Kieth's movie  .INFO on Jahn's    Back in the day, a date was considered going to a movie and then either to a diner or ice cream place... Hey, I am only transposing what I have read.  ( I was much too busy playing ball and trying to get laid.  What did I know ? )

http://www.richmondhillhistory.org/Jahns.shtml  This link really gives the history of Mr. Jahn, and all the close to accurate information about this NY landmark.  Of course like the RKO Keith's movie which is also gone, it's a thing of the past never to return.
     This is a sad picture of the Kieth's in Flushing that is now being made into Condos after years of neglect along with a later Jahn's next door.  I would think these pictures are from the 70's, because the movie had already been closed.

       There is really no meaning to this blog other than a little trip down memory lane for those of you that remember this.  For you others............this was just some of the great things that Made NY that are once again no longer there..........Growing up as a kid, I remember lots of ice cream places like Krum's in the Bronx, Addie Valens,, . Then there was the bungalow bar ice cream trucks that came to your street daily.... A single single cone was 5 cents, a double 10 cents.  ( I looked that up ).  Now I am really getting nostalgic and am thinking about Horn and Hardart Automat........But That is for another trip down memory lane.........Guess even I can't be full of CRaP daily.  But don't despair.  Tomorrow I will be back bitching in full force.