Saturday, June 30, 2012

Diner's..........bye bye




Diner's by CRaPUSA

 I miss the old Art Deco Diner's.  They seem to be vanishing like all the good old things.

Diner's by CRaPUSA
Actually, I don't remember being served by the above in the diner's, but that is another story.
         


Living in NY during most of my adult life , I was fortunate enough to have seen and eaten in many diners. They were abundant and just seemed to be the perfect place to stop for a fast meal while traveling or just as a final destination.    This link    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diner   is Wikipedia's definition of a Diner.  Actually, I think what most of us liked was the Art Deco feeling of most of these wonderful structures. I still think it is very cool when I see one of the few remaining ones.


       
The exteriors were especially wonderful.  You knew what you were getting into. You knew there would be plenty of wholesome food.  Not Mexican, Italian, Chinese,  etc., but good old fashioned American food. Maybe of course with a little Greek accent. The chances were also pretty good that it was owned by a Greek Family.  I remember the food always being plentiful, fresh, with a well diversified menu, while never being too expensive. There were always fresh vegetables and the bread or rolls served at the tables were always good as well as fresh and usually made on premises. There seemed to be a bowl of pickles and a dish of cole slaw served as well.  The deserts were always displayed like the Mona Lisa and the cream pies seemed to have reached the ceiling.  Do I dare say anything about the juke box that was there, or the individual mini ones in most of the booths ?
     I am not really sure why I have such strong feelings for diners, but maybe it's because they are disappearing faster these days... Now there are theme everything when it comes to food.  Here in So. Florida almost everything is a chain.  Gone are the single store restaurants.


    
crapusa.com
It just seems like eating in a diner was always fun. Don't know if you noticed the picture above that I snuck in just to see if you are really paying attention..  I wonder how many people are like me and get a little nosaglic just by thinking of Diner's, or thinking about a date that you once took to a Diner after a movie, or that trip you made and stopped at that wonderful Diner.
      Wow, an entire blog has been written and I haven't bitched about anything once.  I guess every now and then we just need to remember some great old things that are coming to an end....Goodbye you wonderful Art Deco Diner's and thank you for all your wonderful memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment