Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vitamins or Not

I take vitamins like I am sure most of you do.  I am not really sure what they do or how they help, but most doctors tell us to take certain vitamins so we do. We take these and expect them to do whatever they are supposed to do. (whatever that may be).
     But lets back up a little.  We buy these vitamins and expect them to do whatever it says on the label. We trust the major brands we buy without even giving it a second thought. At least that is what I always did until recently.  Hold onto your hats, because this might completely turn you off buying any vitamins.
About a month ago I noticed a strange pill mixed in with Nature Made Calcium bottle.  I had probably gone through half the bottle prior to noticing this strange looking pill. My first reaction was that I put another one of my vitamins in this jar and forgot about it.  I looked closer and realized that I take nothing that even resembles this and that I am so careful that I never mix or put anything in any of my vitamin bottles.
      I immediately send an email to customer service at Nature Made making them aware of the situation.  Naturally I don't use the rest of the bottle as I am somewhat skeptical of what this foreign object might be. I thought I was doing the company a big favor by advising them of this problem along with giving them their lot number and all other codes on the bottle... A few days later I receive an email with a case number telling me that I will shortly receive a return sticker (prepaid) and to please return it to them so they might analyze the situation.  I think that is a pretty good idea and as soon as I received the sticker I buy a padded envelope for the bottle and take it to the Post Office.
I feel really good that I am finally doing something that might or could be somewhat dangerous.  Who knows what was in the other pill and who knows if other people had the same problem, or even if someone took something that they were allergic to ?????   Who knows.....Maybe I potentially saved the universe or will save the universe ?
     
     Well, yesterday I realized that not only did I not save the universe and the world no longer owes me a debt of gratitude, but these fucking stupid assholes at Nature Made have practically accused me of lying to them and that what I said could not have happened.
     I have scanned the letter I received yesterday from Nature Made although it might not be clear enough to read. Basically, these assholes told me that in checking these lots and all the information that I sent them, that it was an impossibility for a foreign object to have been in my bottle. They distinctly said this could not have happened.....in no uncertain terms.  One would think they were covering their ass for a potential law suit ?  I would have thought they would have sent me a nice letter stating that is would be investigated along with a couple of coupons for the used bottle that I had returned to them......I guess I would have been wrong.
      
But alas..............the story is not over.  Being pissed as I was after reading this letter, I did what anyone else would have done....Right....I called the company and spoke to some assistant idiot in customer service.  Well, you know that is a complete waste of time listening to some moron read off some scripted response to my concerns.....So I then asked to speak to their supervisor and of course that took a little bit of waiting time... I was lucky and got to speak to a somewhat intelligent young lady who completely understood what I was saying and couldn't believe that some coupons were not sent out to me immediately. (that is not what I was looking for).   Anyway, she assured me that another letter would be forthcoming along with some Nature Made Coupons for my time etc.
             I guess trying to do the right thing is not always right.  I also think that most of these large companies really don't give a shit about customer service or have a clue as to resolve simple problems.  It is also a sad situation that customer service departments are staffed with people that are not allowed to think for themselves, but are forced to read all this scripted shit that all of us have heard more than once.
        So I guess where their label and logo says "Safely Made, Purely Made" is only true when it is not or when there are no foreign objects in the bottle.
        The truth is sometimes better than fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment