Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Primary Day Election

Ah, the joys of voting for one person during today's primary election in the state of Florida. One would think this is a simple task with only ONE person to pick. Not such a difficult task and something that should not take more than 30 seconds.  But alas......nothing is as simple as it seems.
     Simply walking into the polling place, I knew I was in trouble. After all, I live in a very small community and it is never crowded during any election. But today seems to have been special. There were a few ladies behind the table who had the extremely difficult job of looking up a persons name and getting some kind of proof to make sure this is the correct person. Certainly sounds like an easy task to me.
     I walked in very calm and stood in front of a nice old lady. Actually, every single lady there seemed nice even though the average age probably was 85.  After several minutes she looked up at me and I told her my name. Having a simple last name is sometimes a problem in situations like this, because she had to look through several others to find my first name.  That was difficult for her. I handed her my drivers license that has my picture and signature like every other drivers license does in the world.   Now remember, these are trained people in this highly skilled profession of working one day every year or so.  Not only are they trained, but the Board of Elections pays them on an average of $200 for the day....Not Bad.
     She looked at my license and my signature on the card that I just signed for at least ten minutes before looking up and asking me if this is my signature.  I showed her my license again next to the signature and looked her straight in the face and said, " Well maybe this really isn't me".  I think I scared this poor old lady because she immediately sent me to the machine, where I cast my vote in 12 seconds.........My only question is........Why is everything so fucking difficult in life these days ?

No comments:

Post a Comment