Saturday, February 18, 2012

Don't Get Me Wrong , But

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — Gov. Chris Christie has strongly defended his decision to have flags flown at half-staff Saturday for Whitney Houston despite receiving emails and other messages disparaging the singer and criticizing him.
The Republican governor said Wednesday that he rejects complaints that Houston "forfeited the good things that she did" because of her struggles with substance abuse.
"What I would say to everybody is there but for the grace of God go I," he said.
Christie ordered flags flown at half-staff at state government buildings Saturday, the day funeral services are held for Houston at the Newark church she sang at as a child.
Twitter was abuzz Wednesday with reaction to the decision by Christie, whose home is in Mendham, a wealthy town where Houston also had lived.
In online postings, there were two main arguments against the honor for the Grammy Award winner who died over the weekend in California at age 48: One was that it should be reserved for members of the military, first responders and elected officials. The other was that it's wrong to honor a drug addict.
          The above is just one of many articles written today about the funeral and life of singing legend Whitney Houston...Please don't get me wrong. I am and have been a big fan of Whitney Houston, BUT....... She is a singer who has won lots of awards and has sold a shitload of records.....Is it me or is this country just so caught up with celebrities ??? Gov Christie should be shot....I am a big fan and supporter of him, but this was just bullshit....Maybe I am old school, but flying a government flag at half mast is usually reserved for Military  and elected officials...I think this sucks.
        Then comes or came a five hour nationally televised Hollywood circus event .  Again, what the fuck is wrong with us ?  President Kennedy didn't get as much attention at his funeral.  Well almost anyway.... Hollywood A Lister's, invitation only guests, tons of police protection, loads of local tax money being spent.  Maybe it is just me, but as I get older I get more fed up with Bullshit.
        But Wait.....WTF is Jesse Jackson doing there ?  Enough is enough. I am surprised that Rev. Al Sharpton didn't attend and pick on some white dude who might have said something he didn't like...But maybe once again it is just me ? Maybe somehow the American people really did want to see this. Maybe they just thought it was another reality show.  Oh, wait a while....it was.
        The one person that was there and I was especially happy to see was Kevin Kostner.  He was probably more influential is the success of Whitney Houston than anyone other person.  He waited one year to film the Bodyguard because of a timing schedule with Whitney.  He also insisted on her singing one of her breakout songs his way...Good Job Kevin.  I guess that is why you are one of my favorite  actors.

        There is no doubt that Whitney Houston was a wonderful, talented singer and deserved the attention she received in the music world.  She has a great voice and will certainly be missed. But she is not the only one, nor will she be the last to take her own life, although maybe not intentionally.
    
I am more concerned about the drugs and the amount of time she had been doing them. I am concerned about the young people of America and around the world that are also using drugs and ruining their lives. I am concerned how out of control the use of drugs has become and the harm it is doing to so many people.  Maybe if this aspect of her death were brought up instead of hiding it as much as it has been we will be able to help some other people and maybe.....just maybe.....save some other lives.
      So don't get pissed off at me for me being pissed off at this over the top funeral and over the top media coverage... I would have rather seen five hours of Television on the perils of doing drugs. And for the record.....I did not watch the funeral, but merely saw some of it on the news.
       Only in America kids.....only in America

No comments:

Post a Comment