Friday, January 28, 2011

Manners..............too late............they are gone.......or are they ?????

Good Manners and Bad Manners...................Is there really a difference ??????  

      In sociology, manners are the unenforced standards of conduct which demonstrate that a person is proper, polite, and refined. They are like laws in that they codify or set a standard for human behavior, but they are unlike laws in that there is no formal system for punishing transgressions, other than social disapproval. They are a kind of norm. What is considered "mannerly" is highly susceptible to change with time, geographical location, social stratum, occasion, and other factors. That manners matter is evidenced by the fact that large books have been written on the subject, advice columns frequently deal with questions of mannerly behavior, and that schools have existed for the sole purpose of teaching manners. A lady is a term frequently used for a woman who follows proper manners; the term gentleman is used as a male counterpart; though these terms are also often used for members of a particular social class.    At least this is what Wikipedia says.  However, we all know that manners are bull shit and a thing of the past.  We see plenty of bad manners on a daily basis, but what about Good Manners ?????
     The following are some examples of good manners that I found on line.  Before I even begin to rant about manners, I was able to get a good laugh out of these, which of course I will share with you.  
Please and thank you
Chew with your mouth closed
Cross your legs if you are wearing a dress
Take your hat off in church
Wipe your feet at the door and take your shoes off in a persons home
Ask to be excused from the dinner table
Offer food or drinks to guests
Open doors for people behind you
Do not skip in line
Do not stare
Do not point
Apologize to someone if you bump into them
Watch your language in front of children
Wait to eat until everyone at the table is seated and ready to eat
Put the toilet seat down and remember to flush
Use a tissue when wiping your nose
Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze
Always wash your hands after using the restroom
Dress accordingly for events
No excessive PDA
Ladies first
Make eye contact when talking to a person
Don't pass gas in public

Bad Manners seem to be everywhere. There is nothing we can do in our daily life that lets us escape from seeing this in one form or another.  The other night I was having dinner at a local sports bar  and minding my business while at the bar.  There were some trailer trash ladies to my left that were loud, stupid, and just concerned with consuming as much beer as possible. ( They we're also not very attractive because I probably would not be complaining if they were hot ).  A few minutes later another same type person entered and of course sat immediately to my right.  Normally that would not present a problem and I would just finish my dinner and that would be it.....But No...........Ms. Trailer Trash to my right began striking up a conversation with her long lost family to my left.  I tried to stay calm and not let it bother me as I was about half finished eating.  Someone then departed the bar to the left of them and she asked me if I would mind moving, so that she wouldn't have to yell over or through me.  Normally I would have just looked at her, told her to f**k off and turn away, but...............being that I knew I would write about manners a few days later.........I simply looked at her and politely said, " I would move anywhere not to have to look at you and hear your screechy voice ".   I then moved with a big smile on my face and another guy at the end of the bar gave me a thumbs up and said Very Nice............
     It's so true however that people have forgotten how to say Please, Thank You, Hold a door open for someone, Let another car pull out in front of you, Say I am sorry or excuse me.......etc......etc.....etc......  It's really amazing and will get worse once you start thinking about this.
     What about those jerks in the movies texting throughout the show, or those people talking on their mobile device while checking out of a store and making the cashier wait? ( I blogged about this in the past ), or my all time favorite of someone taking forever to pull out of a parking space when they see and know that you are waiting.  
    
Of course with bad manners do come some good manners.  Wouldn't it be nice if everyone did something nice tomorrow. Maybe be polite to someone. Maybe say something nice to someone. Maybe do something nice for someone...........But I tell you one thing..........If I see anyone like this picture of the tourist couple at an airport, or a mall, or anywhere.....................all bets are off.  In fact, I know that I will be laughing my ass off......So much for Mr. Manners.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment