Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Prunes..........Why are they not called Prunes???????????? ( a favorite from Nov 2010 )

WTF is wrong with this world ?  Why can't a little thing like prunes be called prunes anymore ?  I grew up watching my parents eating prunes for breakfast with milk in it.  I worked as a waiter in the Borscht Belt for many years and serving prunes in the morning was a tradition.  There were stewed prunes, a compote, as a desert, there was dried prunes, there was prune jam, there was prune juice.  Prunes were in all sorts of recipes used in stuffing's, used frequently in Tzimmes, a traditional Jewish dish in which the principal ingredient is diced carrots. etc.  Now they have disappeared.................or have they ????????
       
I have just done extensive research on Prunes and almost feel like I am now a prune expert, with the exception of the fact that I am not dried up with lots of wrinkles.  According to Wikipedia, A prune is any of various plum species, mostly Prunus domestica or European Plum.  It is called other names in India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh.  They are usually sold as dried fruit.
     There are many health benefits of Prunes. Prunes contain lots of fibers and sorbitol a stool loosening sugar. Prunes help in cases of anemia.  Prunes are excellent for increasing one's vitality. Prunes help in normal blood circulation. Prunes are a good remedy for a sore throat. Prunes can even help prevent cancer because of its high beta carotene content.  These are true facts that can easily be checked..
        So I know your waiting for the pathetic part of this story, or why all of the above is Ridiculous.  Well, your correct.  The suits in charge of marketing this industry have decided that due to popular perception of prunes being used for constipation in older people and being the subject of related distasteful joking, many of today's distributors have stopped using the word on the package label.  Their preference is to state "Dried Plums"
     So, as a one person committee willing to fight the entire prune community and who refuses to call a prune a plum...................I say to you marketing jerks......................May you never eat a prune or plum again and enjoy your constipation when it does occur.  That is Karma.
     And for my own satisfaction now that my several year hunt searching for prunes is over, I am so very relieved ?????????? I can now hold my head high and look at a plum label and know the truth about it............But..........Why is Prune Juice still called Prune Juice ????? and not Plum Juice ????
     How will I ever sleep tonight with such a burden on my mind????

No comments:

Post a Comment