Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Best Buds & M & M's

It is not often that you are able to consider a best bud as family.  Today I was with a best bud of probably  35 years who I consider to be a brother to me.  We have hung for many years and probably have spent most of that time hunting together in NY. (That is for 2 legged barracudas). We were competitors in business and played "Can you top this" for as long as we have known each other.  Sure we had fights, and sure we got pissed at each other, but at the end of the day, he would do anything for me and I for him. 
     Recently he got some health news that was not great, but possibly maybe not that bad.  Hopefully by tomorrow at this time we will know the full extent and it will be Good News.  I know that I am praying.  Over the years, he and I have always bitched about the same kind of things.  He might even get annoyed more easily than I.  So here is where the M & M's come into play.
     Today, I picked him up and took him to have some tests taken which probably took a little more then one hour.  I am intentionally not mentioning the type of tests nor his name for good reason.  We got to the medical office which looked like the lobby of a five star hotel.  In one corner was a counter with fresh muffins, fresh cookies, bowls of M & M's, some packaged sweets, cold drinks, and so on.  I had a wonderful cup of coffee while we waited for him to be called.  He had some Valium instead to calm himself.  I certainly understood that.  I went for a walk while he had the tests done, and was back in the office a while before he was done so that he would see my charming, smiling face.  I managed to have another cup of coffee and was playing with my Blackberry trying to be calm and relaxed so I could be supportive when he came out.
       A couple came in to obviously have some test as well.  They sat down right  opposite me and the woman began commenting to her husband about all the goodies that were there.  He gave her a cookie, using the proper utensil that was there to pick it up, and she began sniffing it to see if it was fresh enough for her.  ( I am sure that she would not have passed the sniff test ).  She then got up and attacked those poor little M & M's with her hand (not even thinking about using the spoon that was right in the bowl).  She grabbed them with her slimy dirty hands and devoured them instantly.  I was trying to remain calm and knew that if anything came out of my mouth it was not going to be good.  I wanted to take the whole bowl of M & M's and pour them over her head.  But instead, I sat there and gave her the curse of the cockeyed crow. ( that is just a look of disgust ).
     Why are people so inconsiderate ? Why would anyone do crap like that ?  It was just as easy to use the spoon.  I guess I will never understand why people are so fucking dumb and lazy.  I just googled Washing dirty hands and there are so many articles that it isn't funny.  Germs of all sorts are transmitted through hands not being washed properly.  What sort of germs will be passed on to future people eating from that m &  m bowl ?  But I am not going to start a crusade against this..................at least not until I find out tomorrow my best bud is going to be fine.