Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Bookmarks (orig posted 7/24/2012)

I remember growing up and seeing bookmarks everywhere.  They were even in books while they were being read. They had bookmarks for everything. Every sport, every movie, every hobby, every food, in fact there probably was a bookmark for your bookmarks...... People used to read real live books back in the day.  There were hard covered books and these newer ones that were paperback.  There weren't lots of bookstores, but there was this thing called a library all over the place.
I especially remember all those Christmas related bookmarks that were sold everywhere Christmas cards were sold.  Twas the days of books and bookmarks.
Funny how things have changed...  There are still bookmarks, but now they are on our computers, smart phones, kindles, readers, and almost every mobile device made today.  Gone are the days of books, as well as the soon to be passing of Book Stores.  After all, more and more of us are reading what we want on our mobile device. No need to ever go to a bookstore, or the library for that matter.  Fuck, everything we need to read or want to find out about is at our fingertips 24/7 without ever going out.
     The nice thing about all of this is that we no longer have to buy bookmarks.  Think of the money we are saving ? In fact, think of the money we are really saving on books , newspapers, and magazines by reading and subscribing to them online ?   In fact how many bookstores in your neighborhood have you seen closed recently ?
But I have a bitch about bookmarks today.  If your like me, you have lots of bookmarks on your computer.  They are wonderful when you want to find a certain web site or program really quick. But are they ?     I keep my in alphabetical order.  Actually, I keep mine in alphabetical order only when some of these sites let me.
Here is the problem with some of these asshole companies, and I have to admit they are definitely in the minority.  Amazon, Bank of America, Google, Picasa, Pandora, and companies like that are wonderful and make it real easy to bookmark their sites. They even have their little logo next to it that makes it even a little more familiar.
        BUT......then comes the stupid fucking companies that like to make it difficult for us. These are the companies that decide to put something in front of their name for the sole purpose of fucking up the wonderful alphabetical order that once made it fairly easy to find something when you have about 400 or 50 bookmarks...I am talking about the Comcast's of the world that insist on saving their name as "Home, Comcast", or people like Pay Pal who like the "My Account -Pay Pal, and those like Yahoo who insist on the "My Yahoo"......   Why do these companies insist on fucking up my life and making it so difficult to search for a simple bookmark ?
You would think I was asking for something really difficult....So please Mr. Company that I might want to bookmark.......please just put your name there when I save your page....I really don't give a shit if its mine, my, your, home, at , or whatever.......just the facts sir.   Thank you.
       
      
     
         Custom Holiday Gifts 3