Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dumbbells......aka....Gymbells

I belong to a very big and very modern gym just like I am sure many of you do.  It has a swimming pool, basketball court, racquetball courts, and is on two levels.  It is not as modernistic as the picture above, but very close to it. Like all gyms, it has a pretty big membership and is constantly running specials to attract more people. Again, no different than any other gym in the country.  After all, most people go a few time and that is the end of it.  They have paid the yearly fee and/or monthly commitment that might go on for years.
       I am not like one of those people.  I try to use the gym at least five days a week. Actually, I enjoy going there in the morning as it is a pretty good way to start the day.  I have been retired for a while from a real job, so this is one of the things I  do daily to keep my sanity.
       
I won't mention the name of this this national chain that has hundreds of locations around the US, but manages to only have one cities initials in their name ??????  The entrance to my gym is someone similar to the one above with the following exceptions.  There are usually about 4/5 people behind the counter and someone is responsible for scanning that small plastic card that we all have and keep with our keys. This is by far not a very difficult job, and every now and then I see that little scanning machine facing out, so that it can be done by myself or anyone else entering the gym. I would think this would be a great idea for the following reason.  The people usually behind the desk are either on their call phones, or busy bullshitting with someone else behind the desk.  They seem to do the same think waiters do in a restaurant when you are trying to get their attention and they just look the other way...  What the fuck gives with that ???? Just not cool.  At least not all the time.
     Then comes the amount of equipment that is always broken and seems to take weeks to repair. Why is this ?  Why can't there be someone there on a regular basis to fix these problems ?  I am sure that I am not the biggest pain in the ass when I mention this.  I hear people at the gym complaining constantly.  It is not that no one knows a problem exists, because they do.  I wonder what the manager does all day ?  Oh, I know.....busy on his or her cell phone.

     There have been a few televisions that have also been out for a while. Is that what modern day business is today ?  Is it the fact that nobody gives a shit ???????   Wait......here is the best. The water cooler pictured above (taken from my cell phone yesterday ) has not been cold , or had cold water  for a while. I have managed to drink from the one on the left because it had ice cold water........Yesterday I happened to bend down near the machine and noticed the plug was not connected.  I decided to do nothing about this, knowing damn well it will be that way until some cleaning person finally discovers it or some maintenance company comes to take the machine apart.....Again, it is so hard to believe that I am the only one to have noticed this ?????
     If it weren't for the fact of certain other positive features of this gym, I would probably leave, but what the hell, I am just an average guy.
     Only in America kids, Only in America ?????

No comments:

Post a Comment